Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Two Community Members Honored with Julie Hendry Memorial Award

Julie Paton Hendry, daughter of PHA founding members Pat and Jerry Paton, was the first full-time, non-patient PHA volunteer. Every two years, she looked forward to PHA's Conference as an opportunity to meet the PH patients and families she talked with by telephone and email. Sadly, Julie passed away in 1998. Her family established the Julie Hendry Memorial Scholarship Award in her memory to help a non-patient volunteer attend Conference. This award is given to two PHA members who actively support PHA.

This year, Mary Felkel and Anaelis Padilla are the proud recipients of the Julie Hendry Memorial Award. Both women have been extraordinary members of the PH community.
Mary Felkel (left) and Anaelis Padilla (right)
We were able to interview these two before they head off to Conference. Read on to hear what they had to say.

Kristie [PHA Publications Intern]: What has been your experience with Conference? What are you most excited for?
Mary: I have attended all 10 Conferences, so I’ve had the experience of watching it grow into what it is today and yet maintain the essence of the first one. It’s a time to network with patients, caregivers, family members, doctors, nurses, researchers, and others who are involved in dealing with this disease. What I look forward to the most is reconnecting with old friends, meeting new ones, and finding out the advances that have been made towards finding a cure.
Anaelis:The first time I had the opportunity to attend a PHA Conference was in 2010. I went to California with the expectation of learning new things, meeting other PHers and to gather information to share with the community. What I received in return was a better understanding of PH, meeting new people and a big opportunity of changing other’s life just by sharing the information received at Conference. In 2014, I am excited the meet other Support Group Leaders, new friends, share ideas and exchange memories of my journey as part of the Caparra Wellness Center PH Support Group. I am looking forward on gathering a lot of information for those patients, family, caregivers and friends who can’t be at Conference.

K: What have you done for the PH community? How are you involved?
M: Over the years I have helped my daughter, Sally Maddox (a 24 year PH survivor), with support group meetings and her annual Walk For a Cure, which has raised more than $100,000 for research and patient support. At Conference I’ve donated blood for research, facilitated support groups for parents of adult patients, served as a room host and worked in the PHA Store. I’ve also made monetary donations and travel to play in two golf tournaments that raise funds for PH.
A:I have been Co-Leader of the Caparra Wellness Center PH Support group since it was founded almost five years ago. We create cards, distribute PH information at health fairs, malls, schools, churches and workplaces. I have planned reunions, met with new patients and families, gathered articles and stories to share with caregivers and general public about pulmonary hypertension.

K: Why did you decide to get involved with PHA?
M: I became involved with PHA because my daughter is a patient. PHA has been a source of support for our family since we first learned of its existence in 1991.
A: I decided to get involved with PHA because I met a couple of patients at my pulmonologist’s office. I am not a PH patient but I was hospitalized eight times in less than a year for my asthma and bronchitis. Because of this, sometimes I had my visits at the same time the PHers did and we became friends. I learned about PH and decided I will get involved in any way possible to spread the word about the condition. I also wanted to pay back the care and dedication of doctor Hector J. I am very thankful for all he has done and how involved he is with all of his patients. I know that PH is very important to him, so I decided to be part of a support group. From the beginning, this journey has been a big learning experience that will never end.

K: How do you feel about receiving this award?
M: I am honored to receive this award. Julie’s family has been an inspiration to me over the years for all they’ve done to help find a cure, while at the same time giving support to all those touched by PH.
A: I cannot believe that I am receiving the Julie Hendry Award. I am so surprised because I feel I do so little when others people say I do so much. I am very proud and honored to receive this recognition.Some members of our support group told me that I should apply for the award. Personally, I felt what I have done wasn’t even near to the point of being recognized. Then when Julia Friederich and Joshua Griffis of PHA visited Puerto Rico, Julia insisted I apply because I do a lot of things for the PH community. "You are what that award is all about," she said.

K: What is your most memorable moment while working with the PH community?
M: My most memorable moment was sitting at my daughter’s bedside in an ICU room as she Skyped with people attending the 2011 GA Fun Walk. We have an awesome support system of family and friends who hosted the event she worked so hard to plan. They proved this by doing it again in 2013 when Sally had to be admitted to ICU on the day of the walk.
A: If I have to choose one specific moment I had while working with PH it has to be the smile of one special guy that unfortunately lost his battle to PH. He went to one of our meetings and I told him “just do things differently, don’t give up on doing things you love." I didn’t know Julie Paton Hendry, but from my experiences I know how she must have felt while working with the PH community.

Posted by:
Kristie Link
Publications Intern, PHA

No comments:

Post a Comment